Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Wednesday Snapshot: Street Food Cravings!

 A food market in Patzcuaro, Mexico.

Cravings are a common side effect of living abroad and I ferociously fed my longings for sushi in LA, big juicy American burgers in Montana, my mom's Wisconsin-style brats in Chicago and anything Asian whenever and wherever I could get it. But, in the last hours of my stay in the US, as I was scarfing obscene amounts of seductively succulent peaches, nectarines, plums and cherries in order to get my fix for the year, (I have yet to meet an acceptable stone fruit in Mexico) my stomach began gurgling for the street food tucked in the alleys, lining the markets and parked outside the night clubs in every city and barrio of Mexico.

Cravings by nature cannot be squelched. Of course they can be temporarily appeased, but soon their point of obsession changes, and vamos, they are off on another tangent, doing their duty to keep me up at night dreaming of bites of pleasure usually not in my cupboard.

As you may have guessed, my cravings can be cruel. However, they always have good intentions, and this time, they guided me off the plane and towards crispy fat tacos eaten at a card table, covered with bright Mexican oil cloth and washed down with an orange soda..... Now, if I could only have another one of those drool-inducing peaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment