Monday, November 8, 2010

November Project: We Interupt Our Regularly Scheduled Program..


I stepped away from the Thanksgiving planning ever so briefly to run down to Andalucía for the olive harvest. Highlight: learning loads about olive oil production and why you and I and everyone else should only buy organic produce.


Olive groves as far as the eye can see in Andalucía. Did you know that Spain is the world's largest producer of olive oil? I didn't. Did you also know that 50% of exported Italian olive oil is not actually produced in Italy? I didn't know that either. Half of what is labeled "Product of Italy" is grown outside of Italy, and a large percentage of that oil is imported from Spain.


One final lesson: do not attempt to sneak olive oil into your carry on luggage. My little bottle of liquid cold made it through Madrid's security check, but I missed my connecting flight in Zurich and the Swiss don't mess around. They busted me and took it while I pleaded, in vain. "At least take it home with YOU then so that SOMEONE gets to enjoy it," I shouted at the hauty x-ray technician. I swear she smirked as she dropped it in the garbage can. 


Tomorrow, back to Thanksgiving and my own trial-and-error gnocchi di zucca recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment